George Floyd

Just a few weeks ago nobody knew who George Floyd was and then, suddenly and painfully, the world was invited into the most intimate moment of Floyds’ life – watching his death. Now Mr. Floyd is, sadly, the most famous man in our country.

I was speaking to a mentor of mine last week and he asked what I thought our message to the church ought to be during this time? And I said, very honestly, I don’t know. And, quite frankly, I still don’t know. But I would like to say a few things that I know. When we don’t know what to do or say – we ought to first focus on what we know.

First of all, I know that that video of George Floyd should disturb us all. No matter what the circumstance it was very sad to watch. And it ought to break our hearts. A human soul suffering should always prick the compassion of the Christian. 

Secondly, I know that racism is a sin directly against God. We Christians believe that sexuality is sacred – meaning God directly gave each person their gender and sexuality and to violate it is to violate something God given. We feel the same way about skin color. I personally believe that is just one race, the human race. But God in His creativity and masterful artistry created us in variety of color and build and so on. To dislike or mistreat a person or person(s) because of their skin color is a sin against God and the Christian should condemn it where he or she sees it.

Thirdly, 99.9% of our police force are good men and women who are laying their lives on the line so that you and I can enjoy peaceful and free lives. I don’t know anything about this officer who had his knee on the neck of George Floyd for over 8 minutes. I don’t know what his past was. He is one police officer. Nothing near the majority. The stories that get all the press are few and far between. We must not do the same thing to police that racists do. We must not blame them all for one or a few’s great sins. We should support them and appreciate them.

Fourthly, violence is never the answer. In recent days both Mr. Floyds brother and girlfriend have condemned the violence that is sweeping through out country today. They both have said that George would have been appalled to see any of this done in his name. I just read today that an African American federal agent was killed at a riot in Oakland. Some 170 business just in Minneapolis have been destroyed! How many small business owner’s dreams have been ruined? How many people are now out of work that were counting on their pay checks? 

Fifthly, in all of this Christian – your job is not to choose a side but rather to be a peace maker – to fight for reconciliation. To recognized that no human soul is beyond the grace and love of Christ. Make no mistake, we Christians have an agenda and it is to convince everyone that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, died on the cross and raised to life and that eternal life, salvation is only found in His name. 

I don’t know how to understand what is going on right now, I don’t know all the facts, I don’t know what to tell you on a lot of this stuff. 

But I do know what Paul said in Romans 12:18, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

And Jesus said in Matthew 5:9, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”

Comments

  1. You are humble and I love that about you. I n your words here, there is great wisdom and truth. Greatly appreciate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Secret to Happiness

Grateful Now

What is the condition of the soil of your heart?