Our last daily devotional: You get to choose how you think about things.

Today is our 65th Pandemic devotion! When we started this, it was meant to provide people a way to stay focused on Christ and God’s Word throughout these unsettling times while we could not meet physically. Well this Sunday we are getting back to meeting in person! If you want to know more about that you can watch a video here https://youtu.be/BzhQs6ox0J4 and sign up here https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040e4caba62ca3f94-rocklane1. So, today is our last devo and I want to focus on Philippians 4:8, a verse we briefly looked at yesterday. 

Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

When you go through anything, the way you perceive it, how you choose to think about it makes all the difference. This passage is a guide on how to make sure you are thinking correctly. So, I just want to move through the list this morning and examine how this passage can cleans and heals our broken way of thinking. 

“whatever is true” I remember I was really upset with a dear friend once and I complained about it to Leah. She asked me, “What kind of person are they and why do you think they did the thing they did?” She was forcing me to face the truth. That person loved me and loved Jesus and had done what they did because they believed it was right. In thinking on the truth of the matter my whole demeaner changed. Listen, half the time our thoughts get us upset is because we are thinking things that we know aren’t true! If we could just take a breath and examine these thoughts, we would know. I spoke to a friend recently who said she thought she was worthless and purposeless. Now she is a Christian. I asked her what she believed about Jesus and the Gospel and then asked her if those thoughts could possibly be true. 

“whatever is honorable” This word honorable has to do with integrity, with nobility. Are you thinking in an honorable way about a subject or in a dishonorable way? Are your thoughts honoring that person, honoring God? even honoring yourself? 

“whatever is just” I think often times I am treating other people and situations in an unjust way, or unrighteous way. I am thinking the words and making assumptions rather than thinking justly – rightly about a situation. God is Just and He dwells in you! Be more concerned with you being just toward others rather than you receiving justice.

“whatever is pure” Are you thinking purely or with sinful accents? Are your thoughts vengeful, angry, lustful, selfish, slanderous? You must take that thought and examine it – you get to choose how to perceive it!

“whatever is lovely” Do you know that every human being is made in the image of God? Regardless of their race, nationality, religious convictions, sexual preference, political stances or what sports teams they root for! They are made in the image of God and worth the life of the Son of God in God’s eyes! We should see every human soul with breath taking beauty and respect. And we should view God’s creation and the good things in life that all come from God and the beauty of creation in the same ways. 

“whatever is commendable” When I get frustrated with someone (like a child of mine) one way I often calm my mind is I start thinking about all the things I admire and appreciate about that person. The anger subsides and replaced with admiration. Whenever I get frustrated with God, I remember the Gospel and what He’s done for me and am overwhelmed!

“if there is any excellence” Think about the excellence of a situation, the beautiful parts. Dr. Shane Wood shared that he got an angry email from someone once accusing him of false teaching. He said it hurt, but he replied that he was grateful for this man’s passion for the church and the Word. We need people who care! Then he prayed for the man and the man emailed back, “My life is falling apart can you please help me.” 

“if there is anything worthy of praise…” I find that most of my worst moments are quickly dealt with when I focus on how mighty and beautiful and transcendent and grace-giving and loving our God is. I pray every day that God would teach me how to be in awe of Him more and more and more. To never lose sight of Him. If we are in awe of God how can we be worried or doubtful or angry or petty?

As we continue to move through life together, no matter what comes, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Secret to Happiness

Grateful Now

What is the condition of the soil of your heart?