God Is Working Behind the Scenes

Yesterday, some close friends of mine shared a very meaningful passage of scripture with me from Galatians 6:9, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.”  

The passage means to keep moving forward and serving the Lord in your situation and trust that, even though you can’t see it, and if you are serving Him – loving Him and honoring Him with your behavior and work, He is working behind the scenes. 

 

This all reminded me of a song we often sing at Rocklane called “Waymaker”. (You can watch an excellent rendition here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCV_2H9xD0) The bridge of the song reads, 

 

“Even when I don’t see it, You’re working. 

Even when I don’t feel it, You’re working.

You never stop, you never stop working.”

 

We are used to instant gratification. We want to see the results and see them know. But in Christianity the measure of success is not the visible rewards – but rather in the faithfulness. I have been reading a lot lately about the prophet Jeremiah. Scripture tells us that God told him he would spend his life speaking God’s truth to people who did not want to hear it. God told Jeremiah that he would not see the fruit of his labor. As a result, Jeremiah became known as the weeping prophet. He worked and toiled and endured and, as far as he knew, saw no results. 

 

At one point he was so discouraged that he cried out to God, 

 

“O Lord, you have deceived me,
    and I was deceived;
you are stronger than I,
    and you have prevailed.
I have become a laughingstock all the day;
    everyone mocks me.” (Jeremiah 20:7)

 

He is saying that this isn’t what He signed up for. He is not seeing any fruit, just persecution. 

 

And yet, just a few verses later Jeremiah says, 

“If I say, “I will not mention Him,
    or speak any more in His name,”
there is in my heart as it were a burning fire
    shut up in my bones,
and I am weary with holding it in,
    and I cannot.” (Jeremiah 20:9)

He says that he cannot stop preaching God’s word and He will not. 

 

As far as we know, Jeremiah never saw fruit for his labor. And yet, the words of Jeremiah have been shared and preached and used to inspire followers of God for thousands of years – right up to today, in this video. 

 

You may not see how God is working in your life right now. You may feel, as Jeremiah, that He has deceived you or forgotten you. But you are in this for the long haul. You must continue to do good and know that God will use that good, is using that good even if you don’t see or know how this side of Heaven.

 

Love you church! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Secret to Happiness

Grateful Now

What is the condition of the soil of your heart?