Weary

“I am weary.” That’s what I said to my wife last night when my head hit the pillow. I was expressing, describing an inner exhaustion that I have been feeling for some time now. In the words of Bilbo Baggins (this is a Lord of the Rings quote) “I feel thin, sort of stretched… like butter scraped over too much bread.” Perhaps you can relate. I think a lot of people deal with this anyway but particularly these days. The world has changed, our lives have changed, and there are so many people we disagree with and we know that they are wrong-and we are right. We are racked with anxieties – some on the surface and some subconscious. We are concerned about our kids, our work, our country, our church, our health… All this threatens us. Our souls, my soul is tired… why?

 

Last night, after my statement of self-pitty, Leah responded by quoting Jesus Christ – our, my Lord and Savior. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

 

I know that passage, I preach it all the time. I have it memorized. I love those references. Or maybe I just love the sound of it. 

 

I believe in Jesus, I’ve been a Christian for 20 years, and yet this weariness is setting in, taking hold. Why? 

 

It’s simple really. I have neglected the first 3 words of the scripture. “Come to me”. So often, that is not what I do or am doing. I am relying on my own understanding and strength – I am looking to words of approval and the satisfaction of the people around me – but not to Jesus. 

 

Are you weary today? Spiritually, emotionally exhausted? Here are three questions to ask yourself, three ways to come to Jesus:

 

1.     What is the Gospel? You’ve heard me quote J.D. Greear on this a hundred times. Preach the Gospel to yourself every day. Part of coming to Jesus is remembering the Gospel and choosing to let the Gospel be the source of your salvation, justification, and affirmation. 

2.     Have you cast your cares upon Him? Peter tells us to cast our anxieties on God because He cares about us (1 Peter 5:7). We come to God in Jesus’ name – as lost sinners we cannot approach Him. But in the name of Jesus – covered by His blood – He hears us. Part of coming to Jesus is taking every care and placing it at the feet of God.

3.     Do you have any unrepentant sin in your life? Is there sin in your life that you know is a sin, but you have not repented of it? You have not admitted it is sin and confessed it to God in Jesus’ name? The Apostle John tells us that if we confess our sins God is faithful – He will forgive our sins and cleanse us (1 John 1:9). If you’re like me, it’s not always a blatant sin (although I certainly have my share of those) but rather a sinful attitude that is permeating your life and relationships. Maybe causing you to feel contempt or judgement for some people in your life or be racked with fear and worry when you know God commands you to trust Him. One of the most important and meaningful ways to “Come to me (Jesus)” is by confessing your sins and asking forgiveness. 

4.     (bonus question) What are you thankful for?  It’s hard to start sometimes because you want to be upset. But start naming them. This is a question Leah asked me last night. I started listing things and by the time I got to 5 or 6 I felt a weight lift. A great way to come to Jesus is to thank Him. 

 

Can I encourage you to take some time to pray right now through each of these items? In doing so – come to Jesus and find some rest for your soul. 

 

I love you church.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Secret to Happiness

Grateful Now

What is the condition of the soil of your heart?